Sunday, May 26, 2013

Memorial Weekend (part 1)

I say it every year.  I L.O.V.E. summer holidays.  No expectations.  No gifts to purchase.  No crazy schedules to keep. Excess food (cooked or consumed) is not required.  What's not to love?!  Just time with our family and relaxing.

Growing up, summer holidays meant time at the lake with my family.  Usually cousins, Nicole and Renee, joined us.  And usually a flock of my current best friends.  And in college, Chris joined us.  He wasn’t sure what to think about all this “relaxing” time.  Everyone with their nose in a book/magazine.  Not a lot of talking.  Lots of naps.  Lots of sun and water.  But after a few years he learned to enjoy it.  And now I think it’s safe to say he even looks forwards to the down time on the weekends away.  And when I say down time, I mean it.  There are only a few channels on the TV, only a few stations on the radio and no internet. 

Of course, with 3 kiddos in tow it’s not exactly peaceful and relaxing as it once was.  But the idea is the same.  A weekend without any requirements, other than sunscreen and life jackets.

Saturday, all three kiddos were able to find their happy place and for the first time, in a long time, everyone had a HAPPY day.  Not a ton of fighting.  Lots of helping.  And more sharing than normal.  A perfect holiday!

Working towards a common goal:  Soaking Riley.
2013-05-25-26 Mem Wknd (13)

Ella was the brave one who got in the water.  She didn’t stay in very long, but she kept checking to see if it was any warmer.  She even convinced Chris to join her.  Both quickly deciding it was still spring time.

2013-007

Turns out our girl, who loves worms, loves fishing too!2013-05-25-26 Mem Wknd (125)

I’m not sure if she was more excited about the bucket of worms for fishing, or the fish.  Either way, she was a happy camper this weekend!

The boys got in on the fishing as well.

2013-008

But Mommy and Ella brought in the first fish this weekend!  I’m sure it had something to do with her brand new pink fishing rod.

2013-05-25-027

More fun pictures of our weekend, but I will save them for another post.  All the fun has left me exhausted :)

No comments: