Tuesday, July 12, 2011

12 hours at 12 months!

this was part of Wyatt’s one year update, but it’s a bit long and it truly deserves it’s own post!

I am EXSTATIC to report that Wyatt is sleeping thru the night!!!!!!!!!!!!   Let’s pause and bask in that milestone for a moment.

Just shy of a year old Wyatt finally slept 12 hours!

It’s been a long year.

Towards the end of June I had finally had it with the sleep issues.  I knew he could do it but he just wouldn’t.  I was really fed up one evening when he ate more dinner than normal along with a bottle and tons of cheerios AND another bottle at bedtime.  And then he still woke up for a 2:00 bottle!!  I was over it that night and determined to put an end to this.  It was a Wednesday night and Chris was studying for a big test all week so I knew I couldn’t do anything until Friday night.  I plotted and planned, read up and was ready to wait it out.  We were going to cry it out.  He was well and not teething so there was no reason not to give it a shot.  We were prepared for a long weekend as we “sleep trained” Wyatt.  Chris took the first shift Friday night.  Wyatt woke up at 2:00 so Chris went in and changed his diaper and then tried to rock him (Wyatt’s not a fan of rocking) and then put him back in his bed.  We watched on the monitor as he stood shaking the bed rail and screamed.  After 2-3 minutes it was too much to listen too so we turned down the volume and just waited.  15 minutes later Wyatt laid back down and slept thru the night, even waking up later than normal!  AND after only one night of training he hasn’t woken up since!!!!  Seriously!  It’s been almost 3 weeks now.  I’m not sure if I should be thrilled that he was so easy to train or mad that it took me so long to attempt it.  Either way, I’m not complaining.

He is starting to teeth again so I know there may be a few more sleepless nights in our future but I know that once he’s well that he can go back to sleeping all night, I won’t be afraid to let him cry it out again. 

Now if only I could train my boys to sleep past 6:30/7:00 on the weekends…..that’s probably asking for too much.  I’m happy with the 12 hours of sleeping.

2011-07-July_thumb1

1 comment:

Kristi said...

Congrats on the sleeping!!! That's wonderful!